Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stall Bars




I have recently noticed that my core strength is lagging behind considerably. In an effort to correct this I've been looking into purchasing a set of stall bars. I quickly found that unless you are willing to fork out $500.00 to $1000.00 for a set it would be better to build some. I went to Lowes and bought what I thought would be sufficient materials to build a simple set. I bought (2) 2x6x8, (1) 2x4x8 and (9) 1 1/4 inch poplar dowels (these were half the price as oak and they seem to be quite strong and flexable). I drilled matching pilot holes into the 2x6x8s with a 1 1/4 inch woodbore drill bit. I then fastened the dowels in place with wood screws. I cut the 2x4x8 in half and mounted it to the back of the set up for the purpose of connecting it to the wall in my garage.
Take a look at the pictures to put a visualization with this vague excuse for instructions.
Give me some feedback! There is also a picture of me doing a flag to prove that they work. This was about a five second hold.







11 comments:

matthewmovement said...

Wow, very nice!

I might make myself a set.

I've been thinking about doing it for a while.

TheMoneyNerd said...

Hey thanks. Let me know if you need any other info on how to do it.

iii said...

Brilliant! I'd love detailed instructions on how to build a set, I need stall bars really bad!

Banastal said...

Great. I was looking at stall bars online and they are ridiculously expensive. I was thinking of going to Lows myself, but was afraid I won't be able to build something that would hold up the weight. Thanks for the info.

I am from Russia and everybody calls that a Sweden Wall there - I always wanted to have that at my house just for general fitness.

Welner Zuleta said...

hey I was wondering where you got those rings from please let me know thanks

Unknown said...

How much did it cost you to make? materials and things?

Unknown said...

how much did it cost you to make? materials and other things costs?

capo29 said...

Could you post pictures of the dowl rod connection to the 2x4?

Unknown said...

You are awesome - I have been trying to get my boyfriend to make these and some rings for me forever - but you just made it simple for even a girl like me to build! You rock - this is great for core strength especially for pole fitness - which is what I train for! Thank you for being so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like your rings are kinda what I was thinking, some kinda rings with tape around them and just a tie down. Nice.

Unknown said...

hey mate,
great instructions! when you mounted it to the wall how many studs did you drill into?

kawatche said...

Really cool! Especially since buying ready-made ones is disproportionately expensive to the material. So thanks for this!

@banastal Fun fact, the stall bar is a Swedish invention (called "ribbstol") that an exercise pioneer designed here, so the name in Russia is very appropriate.